Friday 14 March 2014

Clayhanger Marsh

 Clayhanger Marsh is one of the best places to go if you love nature although there is many more places to go such as Rutland water, Smestow Valley and many many more. 


"The Mallards paddling up the super long canal like speed boats" 

But if you don't, you know, it's like the most boooriiing place ever. However I am not saying that it I is boring and that you shouldn't go or that you have to go I'm just saying everyone has there own opinion and mine is it's great, go have a good time and make sure it's sunny or at least a warm day because it can be super harsh. 

"The Reeds by the water"


 After writing this I am going to write about my time at Clayhanger Marsh and if you want to you can go an see what time you will have. Also the greatest part for me was when we went on top of the mountain and looked over mostly every part of Clayhanger Marsh. And now about my great time at Clayhanger.




Report


First I would like to write that the one person that was leading us around (Chaz Mason) local patch-watcher (a patch-watcher watches and records in a certain area of nature) was extremely nice and Chaz knew a lot of Latin about birds beside nature too! 

Next  I would like to write that my favourite five birds that I saw that I had not seen before are: the yellow-hammer, Oyster-catcher,Reed Bunting,Great-crested Grebe and Little Grebe.

Now, when we got there which, was after we caught three buses and walked up a whole canal! We (meaning me and my friend Chris) met himself and he started us off on going around the whole marsh, at first I was a bit nervous but as we carried on I got to know the guy and he is actually real nice, so it lessened until I was not nervous at all. :)
First he asked me what birds I wanted to see and I muttered a quiet Kingfisher. He then said that there was a tiny one that flew among him before but in the whole time that one was there unfortunately I didn't see one however the new birds that I saw made up for it. We ventured on to more and more parts, as we were walking through all the mud I actually saw a Reed Bunting on a reed plucking off the seed head for its nest. We were walking further and suddenly there was a tiny Yellow-hammer sitting on the path, with another one right by it in the bush. After that we were walking along a muddy trail and we kind of went up a small hill. Whilst we stood on the top, we were just chatting and as we came equipped with FOX biscuits we ate them.

A few minutes later we started moving on to the lake and had a huge island in the middle of it, this is where I saw the two Oyster-catchers. Here we met a man and a women who had a dog called "Oscar" when Chaz and my friend Chris were talking for a while but after we carried on. This is when we spotted the Great-crested Grebe from far, we looked at it for a few minutes, then we were walking a few steps and we saw another one of  the Grebe family: The Little Grebe.And, that was the last of the new birds I had not seen before. 

We actually walked through the tall grass and it was up to my chest although, I'm only about 1.39 meters tall. As we came to the end of the tall grass there was a small clearing which, had a step up. This led to a little walkway with gorse growing on either side and as we were approaching the end there was a bridge, this is when Chaz said that this was the last place I would see my Kingfisher but I didn't see one. :( 

We carried on when we reached a sea which was a sea however now its just dry land and there is many rocks that you can see, you may also be able to pick them up. Anyway after this we came to a wood which was called Coppice wood. Inside there wasn't really much and after that we were just walking and talking but I won't tell you what it looked like because I will leave it to you.


Just to warn you if you do go make sure you know your way around and back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.